Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Friday. Not as Laid Back as I Had Anticipated......

Friday started out Quite Calm and Serene. So Serene, in fact, that I took my time getting to the Show Site, relaxing at the hotel, enjoying a second cup of coffee and, of course, waiting for the pictures to download onto my blogspot....Nothing really "pressing" for ME this day....well, except to run Brenda's Collies again in Rally, just like yesterday afternoon....Prosper had Finished his Rally Advanced title the day before, so there was truly No Pressure on Toni Bailey today At. All.
I strolled into the building around 10:30, put the boyz in the expen, thought I'd check on the Rally and Obedience area, and maybe see if I could pick up my numbers for the Walker boyz. YESTERday, they wouldn't even Think about digging thru the numbers until after noon, so I was in no big hurry to ask for their services right away.



I turned the corner from the "breed" area to the "obedience" area, and THERE was the Rally Advanced ring set up and RUNNING. People and Collies Everywhere, waiting to enter the ring in Rally Advanced B!!!



Oh crap! Oh Crap! OH CRAP!!!! They were running the schedule just Opposite to yesterday's schedule----Rally FIRST instead of LAST. Omigosh! What?! Where?! WHAT am I gonna DO????



I asked one of the stewards if I could still get in, and she was Quite Unsure....Asked one of the judges (who was not working in the ring at the time) and she said, "As long as the last team hasn't run, you can get in at the last of the line. But go get your Collie. We will not wait on you."



RUNNNNNNN back to our grooming station. Enroute, there comes an announcement over the loudspeaker....



"There is a blue merle rough Collie dog loose in the building. Please pick him up at the announcer's desk."



Couldn't be MY boy this time.... (see THIS post to explain that....)

He was safely in his pen. I had JUST put him there....



There were Brenda's boyz, happily sleeping in their expens, there was James.....Oh crap! Oh! CRAP!!!! There was JAMES, but NO Blue Merle Collie.....



I'm running out of TIME here....Back to the announcer's desk, pick up Prosper, hand him over to Carl's sister (also named Brenda) ("Will you PLEASE take him out to poop, that MUST be why he got OUT?!!"), grab Brenda Walker's two boyz, and head BACK to the Obedience area.



Passing by the Collie Health Foundation Booth, I called to Brenda Walker...SOMEthing about Rally is starting Now, and Carl's Brenda has the Blue Boy to take him out to hurry up, and bring a leash. ALL she could decipher at that moment was that the Blue Boy had escaped and would "Brenda" go take him to pee.....



So, MY Brenda was a bit lost and confused for a little while looking for Prosper, the leads, and a poop bag....(THAT restofthestory got straightened out later that evening over some fabulous margaritas).



I handed off Duncan to my friend Rose ringside so I could "warm" Jeremy up before we barreled into the ring, cold and un-rehearsed....(Brenda Walker was still looking for Prosper!). By the time it was our turn to enter the ring, Rose had to relinquish Duncan so SHE could go into her ring....Ah! But HERE comes Brenda Walker, all smiles and happiness (she HAD found Prosper and Carl's Brenda by this time), reaching for Duncan's leash.



Deep Breath......Do some serious Yoga breaths in, breaths out.....Jeremy and I enter the ring, and right away he does not sit. Okay...so....you don't HAVE to sit before you begin, so I'm not gonna let that worry me a BIT. Dang! At Least we were able to "fix" this late problem and be able to compete! This was Not a "sitting day" for Jeremy. Though he did lie down nicely and perform several other stations quite well. The jump hurdle....um....well....no. Nope. Not even with Aint Toni promising "jility!".....Two tries, two refusals. Not gonna push the happiness out the window on that one....

And he WAS happy!  Smiling and grinning at me all the way through.  The judge said "sorry" as we exited, but I wasn't really sorry....NOT with that Collie on the end of my lead....Jeremy has to be, by far, the sweetest dog I have ever met....He'd had a Great Time, just travelling alongside of me, and that was enough. 

I swapped his lead to a smiling eartoear Brenda, and took Duncan's in hand.

Now...FIRST of all, Duncan is a Workaholic.  He would rather work for you and do what you ask than anything else in the world.  He neeeeeeds a job, and if you ever want to just practice with a dog who knows everything (except how to read), then just ask Brenda to loan Dunky to you.  She's very generous, she knows how to train dogs, and she hates going into the ring.

So, here I am, reaping all the benefits of her and Duncan's training, just walking along, reading the Rally signs, asking him to do whatever the sign sez....How cool is THAT! 

Rather like having grandchildren, spoiling them, feeding them lots of sugar, then returning them home to their parents....(only with DUNCAN, you get legs on a title!).



He didn't place, but his score was in the 80's, and we took that and ran with the green rosette!  What a FUN dog he is.  What Spirit! 

I have to add this little bit before I quit the subject of Duncan...
As we were walking back to the grooming area, we passed a series of crates with Collies in them that EXploded in violent barking and extreme bouncing....Duncan got up on his toes, ready for the FUN, and said, "FightFightFight!"
He was Ready, guys, to take on whoever wanted to rassle....(Duncan has told me way back long ago, that he really likes to fight. He just Likes it....sigh...sometimes I can certainly identify with that philosophy).

ANYway, a quick correction and my verbally telling him that , no, we were NOT going to Fight, and he was Back into "work mode" again.  That boy and I walked ALL over that building, passing by all Sorts of reactive and unhappy Collies, and Duncan never again responded in kind....He is Amazing. Truly amazing.....Work, for him, is the Ultimate Reward...

Amee asked for a picture of Laura's banner.  Didn't it turn out beautifully?!!

And below is the Crush Lounge....Taken from Far Away!  Today, Crush won the Tess Esch Award for Best Stud Dog!  Wow! This is Certainly HIS Year!!!



Here is a new friend I made. She and her mother are from Florida.  She had asked me how I braided leashes, so I sat down with her for a quick lesson. She learned FAST!!!

WHILE we were sitting there, AT my grooming space, mind you, all THREE of us twisting leather lace into leashes, the announcer came on the loud speaker....
"Toni Bailey, your blue rough Collie is at the announcer's table....AGAIN."

WHAT?  What th????  WHERE?  HOW??? I've been Sitting here all this time!  And she used the word "again."   Sigh....Prosper is getting quite a name for himself at the Nationals....

We found the break in the Maginot Line, repaired such, then went outside to pee....Prosper neeeeds a job....
He found a big pair of shoes to whiz on...the giant Oilworker in the front of the building...






Grooming...ALways grooming and learning something new....


Tonight there were several banquets to choose from. The Century Club and the Performance Collie being just two of the choices. Brenda and I opted for the PerCol group, and we had a wonderful time!  The meal was served at Tulsa's premier resturant, Michael V's.  It is owned by Colliefolk (Carole and Michael Minden), and so they reaaaaaalllly gave us a break on the price. The food was just wonderful, and I highly recommend their signature cocoanut cream pie.  I even took an extra one home with me.  YUM! 

EVERYone went home with door prizes!  I got a fold up water dish, Brenda got a buckle collar.
Afterwards, we headed back to the hotel for a small party and some Fat Mama's Knock Yew Nekkid Margaritas....And more pie....



I DID try to blog as much as I Could, yall!  Even in the middle of the party!!!




Goodnight, Sweet Prince....My Liddle Runaway....RunRunRunRun Runaway.....
AGAIN.....


No comments: