Sunday, September 12, 2010

The Sins of the Parents become...Well, the Sins of the Parents.....

I like to mosaic.  Not exactly your "traditional" mosaic-type mosaicing, but rather, well...I break dishes, cups, saucers, ceramics items that have been cast off, and stick them onto things, then grout.

The "things" I stick them onto are flower pots, they themselves usually cast off because of a crack or a nick. But, as the flowerpot inventory runs low, and I am loathe to purchase new ones (have you priced those plain old terracotta pots lately?), I have branched out to other "palettes" upon which to stick my broken dishes....

Apologies for using the Victorian word loathe...I just did not want to describe myself as "cheap".....Sounds so Negative within such a Delightful activity....

So, I have begun looking at surfaces rather differently...There are many more venues besides typical curved pots to embellish....Like, say, for instance, an old wooden silverware chest.


This was made for my sister and brotherinlaw for their anniversary last year. It includes lots of the "stuff" of their (and our) lives....There's a church (in dark pink), a bass fish jumping (broinlaw, Don, is a fisherman), a pc of "Golden Wheat" dishes we used to get out of laundry detergent when we were children, dogs, a sleigh (Sherry collects sleighs), some pink Fiestaware (her favorite), a star (my icon) with a blonde headed baby (Amanda, who is now a grownup lady)..


Here you can see more Golden Wheat...and a picture of Elvis...

The decorated wooded chest was received with great joy and laughter. I lined it with fabric, and I think it took its place somewhere in my sister's pink livingroom...



This is The Planets....a collection of orbs depicting some of the stuff in our solar system.

Here's the other side....Saturn and his moons....



Any guess as to What the "medium" is for this creation?  Well....if you look closely, you will see that it is a dang toilet tank! Yep....found it in somebody's trash heap....Hey! It makes a great planter...builtin hole in the bottom and everything....

Of course, you cannot leave the tank LID on the side of the road, either....I've found several of these, and have made numerous creations from lids....Here's the latest 2:



These will go as prizes for the upcoming World Canine Freestyle Competition in Norman (OK) later on this month. The second one is the WCFO logo in mosaic.  Making recognizeable images in mosaic is NOT easy, but the challenge is quite fun.

I mosaic'd a birdhouse for the Habitat for Humanity fundraiser.

And then....Then, there's my bowling ball colletion...Of aliens from other planets. Here's my first one.  He's called Starman.


Dunno what her name is, but she breathes tree leaves....And sports a pillbox hat...I call her Althea.

I learned a lot making this one...FIRST of all that I must put the eyes up lots higher on the orb.....But I like him...He's my favorite color....and he has dorky teeth...He sits in an old bathroom sink in my back yard....

I have a wonderful studio setup in my storage barn. Anyone is welcome to come over and bust thangs and stick them on stuff.


 
 It is an activity that satisfies many elements in my life. Creativity, Serenity, and even, well...a bit of Anger Management....Bikeman and I haven't had a decent fight in months.....
Last year, when my  younger daughter and her two children came to housesit for us (Bikeman was playing his trumpet in Breckenridge for a few weeks; I was dancing with the younger Collies at a World Canine Freestyle International competition) and to keep watch over our older, retired Collie Baden. I stocked the house with food, and tried to think of as many fun activities as I could for the three of them to do. As it turned out, she cooked her own food and found her own activities....You can read about it if you follow the link to her blog and scroll down to last summer's entries.

I offered my studio to her if she wanted to create something from brokeness, and even made an effort to clean and organize the area a bit.

While I was cleaning, I noticed that a rubber mouse had fallen from the Halloween deocorations box.....

Hmmmmmm....always one to scare the dickens out of my children, I placed the rubber mouse beside one of the boxes, knowing that, once The Baby went out to the barn to create, she would be properly startled at the sight of the tiny rodent.....

She never went out there all week. So the mouse went un-noticed, and I had to find other means to frighten the child in other places.....(which, of course, I did, and many times)

The rubber mouse went forgotten, and the surrounding clutter swallowed it and its memory from my consciousness.....

Last night, I was looking for some table legs in the storage barn. It was dark outside, and quite late. I had just finished a wonderful session with a mosaic'd bowling ball.....I located the table legs and was "redistributing" the clutter, and what should appear but a tiny grey mouse from under the boards near the lawnmower!

I was appropriately and Completely startled, fell backwards a little, landed on a sharp piece of broken plate, and sat down hard.....


No comments: