Thursday, June 25, 2009

The Sweet Smells that Nourish my Soul.....

I smell things. Odors, scents, smells, aromas.....They elicit deep feelings and memories unlike any sounds or sights can bring. Fragrances can waft past me, and I can be flooded with delicious scenes in great detail.

There are several wonderful "dog smells" that elicit pure joy for me. The smell of a sleeping dog....Did you know that they smell differently when they sleep?! Perhaps a sort of protection to let others know they are not ready for immediate action... There's the Crown coat conditioner spray that is a signature scent of show dogs....And wet dogs, soggy from the rain or the bath. Adolescent puppies who smell like peepee and testosterone they cannot yet completely control. Paws that smell like toast. Ears pungent, warm and spicy. Leather leashes. Warm breath. A mane of fur to bury your face in.

I am amazed at how powerful the sense of smell can be. Amazed and quite thankful.

2 comments:

Emily P said...

I remember how Hank smelled when he woke from a nap. I love the smell that is left after babies fall asleep on your chest- that sweet sweaty spot... hmmmmm.

Toni said...

Ah, yes....And PROSPER has a Sleepy Smell, too. Sometimes I wonder if Hank doesn't have a hand in some of this still....