Sunday, November 5, 2017

Walking with Sorrow and Suffering

This litter was in 2013.  Such a beautiful mix of Color and Life.  Eyes opened, lustily suckling, crawling with tummies off the floor, learning my voice and my scent. Sadly, All of them passed on, onebyone, and there was nothing we (the vet and I) could do.   They just could not make it. I grieved for each little Life as it succumbed to the demands the Planet required. 

I spoke very little about them afterwards. (Denial is one of my coping stratagems).  I also determined that I would Never do this again.  My days of neonate rescue were Over.   I did not want to risk the grief.  And Pain. Too many days spent caring for them, wth such horrible results.  These babies, these very beautiful babies, took with them a large piece of my heart.  I had been so careful!  I had done Everything Right. And still.....and still, they faded.....and breathed their last.  

Time blurs ones memories.  And softens ones sorrow.  

For, you see, Sorrow and Suffering walk silently beside us in our journey on this planet.  They hold our hands so we cannot cover our ears and miss the Voice of Love. 

Me?......Well, I would much rather have Peace and Joy as my traveling companions....

Pride tends to step in and attempt to guide me on my walk.....And to keep me from admitting failure and, yes, even Death.  For Sorrow and Suffering bring us point blank to the things we want changed on this Plane....We can overcome the bad stuff with a bit of Good. 

And, yeh.....I took in the next tiny litter months later when someone called.  I fed their tummies and wiped their bottoms and worried and fretted while Sorrow and Suffering held my hands and reminded me that Everything is up to God. 


No comments: